BestDays™ grilled vegetables with summer garden vinaigrette
Nathan has been an award-winning food stylist for print and film advertising for the past 26 years and is an internationally published food and travel journalist. He has been a regular guest host for Global BCTV News with his “Saturday Chefs” and “Fong on Food” segments, as well as is a columnist for The Vancouver Sun and a regular contributor to Taste Magazine. To explore the world of food with Nathan, visit fongonfood.com.
Chef Nathan Fong’s recipe inspiration
I love to grill vegetables (and sometimes fruit) on the barbecue. It brings out the natural delicate flavours as well as giving a mild smokiness. Here’s a wonderful and colourful entertaining platter served with a vinaigrette made with finely chopped garden vegetables and aromatics, so reminiscent of similar dishes I’ve seen in Provence in the south of France.
- Prep Time | 20 min
- Makes | 4 to 6 as a side dish
- Nutritional Facts
- 2 leeks, white part only
- 1 each red and yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut in 1-inch (2.5 cm) slices
- 8 thick asparagus, tough stems trimmed
- 2 to 3 small zucchini or yellow squash, ¼-inch sliced lengthwise
- 2 Asian eggplant, ¼-inch sliced lengthwise
- 1 lb (500 g) mix of large cremini, shiitake, Portobello, or oyster mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (50 mL) gherkins, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (50 mL) capers, rinsed, drained, finely chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup (50 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) sherry vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Trim off the green part from the leeks and halve lengthwise. Place all cut vegetables into a large mixing bowl and drizzle with the olive oil. Toss well and grill on a medium-hot preheated barbecue. Turn occasionally until desired texture. Remove and arrange on serving platter.2.
For the vinaigrette, mix the remaining ingredients and whisk until well blended.3.
Drizzle the vegetable vinaigrette over the grilled vegetables, reserving some for serving on the side.
Nutrition Information For Serving Size: 6
- Total Calories: 277
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 209 mg
- Potassium: 995 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fibre: 7 g
- Sugars: 10 g
- Protein: 6 g